Memorial Day Weekend

Sunday, May 26, 2013

When I was young, like so so many others, I never gave much thought to the meaning of Memorial Day.  It was just a long weekend off work and the start of summer.  I've become very aware of our heroes, past and present, since I've become a participant in Operation Write Home.

My dad was a soldier in WWII, my father-in-law was career air force, my husband is a Vietnam vet, and my stepson is active military.  My family has served our country all the way back to my great-great-grandfather, whose grave has a G.A.R. marker.  I'm thankful for all of them, and for all those presently serving at home and abroad to protect our freedom and the American way of life.

That said, I've had a fairly quiet weekend here at home.  Yesterday, I blog hopped with OWH, geocached a little and made some cards.  Today, I continued card making and have a half dozen more for my May OWH box.



I was in Hobby Lobby a few days ago and decided I was in the mood to make some beach and summery cards. I saw a 4 x 6 pad that looked perfect and happily took it home. Then, when I opened the seals, I discovered not cardstock, but paper. Grrrrr. So, I'm using it, but mounting it on extra layers of cardstock so it's not cheap and flimsey looking. That takes extra time. As you can see, I'm in a colorful, tropical mood! I'm pretty happy with them all, but the seahorse is my personal favorite. I'm hoping to find time tomorrow to do a few more and then Tuesday the box goes postal to OWH.

No comments:

Post a Comment