March 1, 2013

I saw a card on someone's blog that used octagonal inchies and a jungle theme. So, feeling a little wild as we begin March, I used that card as a jumping off point for my own "Wild Thing" cards. I'm still trying to make more masculine looking cards, so I thought this idea would work.

This first card was quick and easy. Layer tiger print on black mat, then attach to Ivory Naturals (Stampin Up) A2 card base. Die cut three small animal print octagons, mat top and bottom ones on dark brown, middle one on black. Cut a strip of golden/pumpkin cardstock 2 3/4 by 1 3/8. Mat very closely on black. Attach inchies as shown. I didn't have (or couldn't find!) the stamp for the sentiment, so I printed it on my computer. Cut banner tails, then double mounted on black, then golden/pumpkin. Attach sentiment to prepared card base, then attach strip with inchies as shown. I thought it needed just one more accent, to I stamped, colored and fussy cut an elephant, using a Michael's dollar stamp. Then attached the elephant using dimensionals.



The second card follows the same concept with octagons and jungle theme. Again, I used the Ivory Naturals for the A2 card base. Then I cut a piece of rust cardstock, 4" by 5 1/4" and embossed using a cuttlebug folder. Next, I wrapped two strands of black twine around rust piece, then adhered it to the card base. I die cut two animal print octagons (about 1 1/2"), then two black octagons (about 1 3/4"), and one larger black octagon (about 2".) Stamp, color and fussy cut the elephant and attach to largest black octagon. Attach the animal print octagons to the remaining two black octagons. Attach to card front as shown. Print sentiment from computer on Ivory Natural cardstock, then mat on pumpkin, then on black. Stamp tiny tiger footprints in corner, the attach to card front.



.

2 comments:

  1. Joan, Two very nice masculine cards. The sentiments are perfect for these cards. I like the octagons - it is a nice change from the usual circles, squares, etc. Thanks for sharing this great idea.

    Sharon S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cool! Thanks for sharing the octagon idea and a special thanks for being OWH featured cardmaker this week!

    ReplyDelete