Western card inspired by art

Friday, March 22, 2013
A couple weeks ago, when my travels took me to Winslow, Arizona (yes I was Standin on the Corner), we stayed at La Posada Hotel. In the gift shop, I saw an original art work, of a windmill and horse, on a circular canvas and framed with real barbed wire. I'm sorry that I don't know who the artist is, to give credit. But I was struck with such strong card making inspiration, that I actually didn't forget it by the time I got home!

1. Prepare 5 1/2 by 4 1/4 Chocolate Chip (Stampin Up) card base.
2. Cut 5 1/4 by 4 inch from Ivory Naturals card stock. Stamp Weathered background using Close to Cocoa ink. (Both by Stampin Up.
3. Using Spellbinders die, cut a 3 inch window in the weathered panel.
4. Using Spellbinders dies as guides, draw two circles in dark brown around window (I purposely offset them.) With brown pen, draw freehand curvy lines around each circle. Add tiny X's all around for barbs.
5. I found a piece of pale blue and white marbled card stock in my stash. Otherwise, I would have used white and sponged cloudy blue sky effect. Either way, cut a piece 4 by 3 1/2 inches. Layer the weathered panel over this panel and lightly draw a pencil circle on the sky panel using the window in the weathered panel as a guide.
6. With the pencilled line as a guide, stamp the windmill (B & J Art Stamps) on the sky panel. Stamp windmill again on thin paper and cut out to use as mask. Place the mask over the image on sky panel, then stamp herd of horses (I used an old PSX Passion for Horses set image.)
7. Remove mask, color windmill as desired. Sponge green for ground. A tip: I use a Q-Tip to dab color into areas too tiny to sponge. Erase the pencilled guideline circle.
8. Adhere the weathered panel over the sky panel. Attach small brass star brads to three corners, as shown.
9. On a scrap of Creamy Caramel, or similar color, stamp the horse head. My stamp is a whole horse by B & J's Art Stamps, but its head was just the right size for this card. Cut out horse head, squaring bottom corner. Color mane and eye with Chocolate Chip and sponge Close to Cocoa for shading. Attach horse head to weathered panel, as shown. Attach completed panel to the Chocolate Chip card base and it's done!
It really isn't a hard to make card. It took me longer to write out these instructions than it did to make the card!

No comments:

Post a Comment