February 28, 2013

Well, February has finally came to an end. For some reason, it seemed like a very long month. But, unlike most of the country, here in southern Nevada, we've been having beautiful weather. So, I've been alternating hiking/geocaching with stamping. I realize that I don't make enough masculine or children's cards, so today I rummaged through my really old stamps and found two great ones that I've never used.

The first card shows the two original images, the shirt and the tie. I stamped the shirt twice on white cardstock, and cut out the first image. Then I cut the pocket and collar from the second one and layered it on top of the first, for a little depth. Stamped the tie on a scrap of blue printed paper and adhered to shirt. After mounting it on a navy blue card base, it still needed something. So I added two brads for collar buttons, punched and added three little hearts and stamped the sentiment on the pocket. Fun to make, although not a really fast card.



Well, after I finished that one, I still had all the paper and scraps all over my workdesk, so why not do a second card. Only this time, I wanted a western shirt. So, I created my own template for the yoke of the shirt. I stamped the image on white cardstock, drew the pointed yoke lines with pencil, then cut out the yoke as shown below. I stamped the image on the blue printed paper, then laid my yoke template on top, aligned it with the blue image, and used a black marker to draw the bottome outline of the yoke on the blue. I cut out the neck hole part of the shirt and glued a scrap of white behind it. This gave more depth and defined the collar more. I had just enough blue left to cut an extra pocket. Next I stamped the entire shirt image on a piece of red and white striped paper and cut it out. I glued the yoke and blue pocket over the striped image. Since the stamped shirt has buttons, I decided to create the snap fastener look of a western shirt by placing brads over each stamped button. Using a white pen, I outlined and did faux stitching on the yoke, collar and pocket. I sponged a little navy ink on the collar hole, to soften it just a little and colored the collar tag. Mounted the finished shirt on red, added two star brads, and attached to white card base. Yeehaw! It's an all-American cowboy! (My former son-in-law, who was on the Thunderbirds team, had a shirt almost identical to this.) I'm still trying to decide if I need to add a sentiment before it goes into the shipping box.

1 comment:

  1. These shirts cards are just terrific! You can have a lot of fun with this and all the various combinations you can do. It's a nice variation of the other "folded shirt card" style that is common. Perfect for the guys!

    ReplyDelete